Here is a guide to Find out if you are Eligible for the Homes for Texas Heroes or Texas Professional Educator Programs
These programs are available exclusively through Select Mortgage Banks as determined by TSAHC, to qualify for these programs you may Apply Online here or simply call (936) 228-1944.
- A Professional Educator: Defined as a full time Classroom Teacher, Teacher Aide, School Librarian, School Nurse or School Counselor employed by a public school district in the state of Texas; or a full time faculty member of either an undergraduate or graduate professional nursing or allied health program in the State of Texas
- Fire Fighter Certification to Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program is obtained through Texas Commission of Fire Protection.
Fire Fighter – a member of a fire department who performs a function listed in Section 419.021 (3) (c), Government Code. Permanent, full-time fire department employees who are not secretaries, stenographers, clerks, budget analysts, or similar support staff persons or other administrative employees and who are assigned duties in one or more of the following categories:
(i) fire suppression;
(ii) fire inspection;
(iii) fire and arson investigation;
(iv) marine fire fighting;
(v) aircraft rescue and fire fighting;
(vi) fire training;
(vii) fire education;
(viii) fire administration;
Any other position necessarily or customarily related to fire prevention or suppression.
- EMS personnel are licensed/certified through the Department of State Health Services to Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program
Emergency Medical Services personnel – has the meaning assigned by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code. Emergency medical services personnel means:
(A) emergency care attendant;
(B) emergency medical technicians;
(C) emergency medical technicians-intermediate;
(D) emergency medical technicians-paramedic;
(E) licensed paramedic.
- Peace officers are licensed through Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE). To Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program. Please call (512) 936-7700.
Peace officer - has the meaning assigned by Section 1.07(a) (36), Penal Code. Peace officer means a person elected, employed, or appointed as a peace officer under Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure, Section 51.212 or 51.214, Education Code, or other law.
- County jailers and Public security officers are licensed through TCLEOSE. To Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program. Please all (512) 936-7700.
County jailer - has the meaning assigned by Section 1701.001, Occupations Code. County jailer means a person employed as a county jail guard under Section 85.005, Local Government Code.
Public security officer - has the meaning assigned by Section 1701.001, Occupations Code. Public security officer means a person employed or appointed as an armed security officer by this state or a political subdivision of this state. The term does not include a security officer employed by a private security company that contracts with this state or a political subdivision of this state to provide security services for the entity.
- Hazardous duty pay employees must have a VOE through TDCJ to be Certified to Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program. Please call (936) 437-4037.
Corrections officer – all full-time employees of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) who receive hazardous duty pay.
- Juvenile corrections officers must have a VOE through the TYC to be Certified to Participate in the Homes for Texas Heroes program. Please call (512) 424-6130.
Juvenile corrections officer – all full-time employees of the Texas Youth Commission (TYC) who receive hazardous duty pay.
Have More Questions? Check out our Special Frequently Asked Question page for these Programs.
The Texas Homes for Heroes and Texas Professional Educator programs are available exclusively through Select Mortgage Banks as determined by TSAHC and we are pleased to be able to offer these programs statewide to you. To get pre-qualified for the Homes for Texas Heroes Program simply Call our office at (936) 228-1944 or you may Apply Online. The above is not a comprehensive list of requirements feel free to call our office at(936) 228-1944 with additional questions. Don’t Forget our Home Buyer University Classes will better prepare you for these special Programs for our Heroes & Educators.