First Time Tax Credit Extended to 2011 for Members of Military and Other Federal Employees

(Last Updated On: March 4, 2016)

Extension of the first time home buyer Credit AND The Move Up Buyer Credit extended to 2011 for some members of military and some certain other Federal Employees

First Time Home Buyer Tax CreditWorried about the Tax credit Expiring?

It you work with Vets you may be in luck.  Members of the military and certain other federal employees serving outside the U.S. have an extra year to buy a principal residence in the U.S. and qualify for the credit. Thus, an eligible taxpayer must buy, or enter into a binding contract to buy, a principal residence on or before April 30, 2011. If a binding contract is entered into by that date, the taxpayer has until June 30, 2011, to close on the purchase.

UPDATE: This down payment assistance program is out of funds and was last checked Friday August 18th.  This information is accurate as of that date.  Please call our office at our contact page for more information on the 100% financing programs available in your area.

Who Qualifies?

Members of the uniformed services, members of the Foreign Service and employees of the intelligence community are eligible for this special rule. It applies to any individual (and, if married, the individual’s spouse) who serves on qualified official extended duty service outside of the United States for at least 90 days during the period beginning after Dec. 31, 2008, and ending before May 1, 2010.

Extra Benefits

In many cases, the credit repayment (recapture) requirement is waived for members of the uniformed services, members of the Foreign Service and employees of the intelligence community. This relief applies where a home is sold or stops being the taxpayer’s principal residence after Dec. 31, 2008, in connection with government orders received by the individual (or the individual’s spouse) for qualified official extended duty service. The credit is still allowable even if this happens during the year of purchase.

Tax Credit Q&A

Q: What is Extended Duty?Tax Credit Q&A
A: Qualified official extended duty is any period of extended duty while serving at a place of duty at least 50 miles away from the taxpayer’s principal residence (whether inside or outside the U.S.) or while residing under government orders in government quarters. Extended duty is defined as any period of duty pursuant to a call or order to such duty for a period in excess of 90 days or for an indefinite period.

Q: Are both spouses required to be overseas for the requisite time period in order to qualify for the 2011 extension to claim the credit?
A. Only one spouse must be overseas on official extended duty for the requisite amount of time for either spouse to be eligible for the 2011 extension of time to purchase a principal residence and claim the credit.

Q: Do Just VA Loan Qualify?
A: No, all loans qualify.  USDA, FHA, VA, Texas Veterans Land Board and Conventional Loans

Q: Are there additional Credits?
A: In Texas for those who qualify the state of Texas Offers up to a $60,000 Life of Loan Tax credit on top or the Federal Tax Credit

To get qualified either for the current tax credit of this tax credit feel free to contact our office at our contact page .

Leave a Reply